Search This Blog

Sunday 8 November 2009

A whole new Little Man

And by that, I do not mean that we traded Ethan in... although it almost feels that way! I am telling you, miracles of miracles, he is the most beautiful, the most calm and content he has been since birth!

Days into our therapeutic doses of iron, I noticed his attention span getting better. A few days after that, he decided to start walking! And a few days more, he finally began using sign language (all of my repetition and diligence was ACTUALLY registering in his over active brain!).

He is so delightful! Busy... oh dear Father, is he busy, but truly delightful. He walks all over the house yelling "daddddeeeee... daaaadeeeee". He chuckles and chases Anika.

These days, he eats like a horse! I do not even want to imagine what his appetite will be like when he is a teenager!! I think my father hit the nail on the head back when he was three months old and everything started going down hill: "the poor kid is starving! Feed him meat & potatoes."

I thought he was crazy! But I have been boiling our grass-fed beef short ribs, freezing the broth in ice cube trays to blend with his food and feeding him the delicious meat with most meals, and I tell you, he is a whole new little man. He LOVES meat. That's all he wants to eat... that and grapes... just like Mina did.

I have even been able to sit and READ books to him! And I am not talking about the lightning speed reading of yelling out random words as the pages fly by my face due to busy little hands who couldn't be patient enough to WAIT for me to turn the pages.

My little Ethan is coming out of his itchy shell. Iron deficiency and garlic have been the major culprit all of these months! Goes to show the blatant denial on my part... garlic was one of the only remaining food items that I consumed in large quantities on a daily basis... you'd think I would have made the link but nope. I had it in my mind that no one could possibly ever be allergic to garlic! It's practically an herbal gift directly from the creator!! I mean, c'mon!

Sigh.

But alas, meals have certainly become simplified and I think Ethan is starting to wean himself. He actually slept for a seven hour stretch last night!

Joy of joy! Your prayers, our prayers have been answered! More answers that have finally led us to Ethan's basic needs. And the successful protocol? He is on a hypoallergenic probiotic called EMF Super Powder, Licorice Root extract, L-Glutamine, Iron, and Baby Ddrops. Foods consumed daily are bananas, applesauce, avocados, grapes, yams, beef, chicken, beans, carrots and zucchini. He gladly gnaws on raw red pepper so his vitamin C consumption is finally greatly increased.

Lastly, we add a scoop of Metagenics Ultracare for Kids (food supplement) and have truly loved the added nutrients, prebiotics, and amino acids he gets from it.

It has taken a LONG time (or so it feels that way) but we finally have our son back. He is beautiful, pink, plump (he gained a pound and a half these past three weeks!) and he is exploring his surroundings and communicating so well. He signs: grapes, banana, more, all done, milk, hat, wind, train, tree, shoes, help and eat.

I should really reflect and structure this entry a little better instead of blurting out my excitement as though I were yelling out instructions to a babysitter while trying to run out the door! But I am so grateful to you all for keeping our son in your thoughts, your prayers and your healing intentions.

We are so richly blessed and we thank you for your part in that. God bless you all!!

5 comments:

Kermo said...

I'm so happy! What a change from the fussy, inscrutable little wriggler I met last summer. I'll have to get to know him all over again. It's just a matter of weeks now!

Anonymous said...

Awesome news! Amen to that!
Your Cousin,
Cindy.

Anonymous said...

WOO HOO!! Hallelujah!!

What amazing news - what amazing results! I am so happy for all of you, especially darling Ethan. We look forward to our next visit during the holidays.

I can't help smiling remembering just how much Melina loved grapes (and I'm sure she still does!). She was over at our house (on Paddington, so she would have been around 3 year of age), and she had eaten all the grapes we had to offer. You had arrived just as she was getting angrier and angrier that we didn't have more grapes. "Want gwapes! WANT GWAPES! WANT GWAAAAPES!!!" I seem to recall a fork being flung across the kitchen during her little tantrum :-) Good times, good times!

Love you all!
Diane & family

Anonymous said...

This is SO exciting!!!
Love you guys:)

Debra

Anonymous said...

Rita...i am so so happy to hear this wonderful news! I've been following your blog and wondering at your strength and perseverance. today i'm sitting at my computer screen, crying tears of joy for you and your family. I can not believe the lengths you have gone to this past year to find the answer.
you are always in my thoughts.

take care,

lauren