With Ethan's plethora of allergens, I am always on the lookout for recipes I can modify with Ethan-friendly ingredients and experiment. One day, my sister who was trying a gluten and dairy free diet, came by with some basic rice krispies Ethan could partake in. Working off that recipe, I beefed it up a little and came up with the following… which has been a big hit with Ethan, and (much to his chagrin) everyone else! :) This is one occasion where Ethan does NOT mind being the only one able to partake! Here's hoping your family can enjoy it as much as ours. I wish I knew how to make this a printable copy but for now, we'll have to do this the "old fashioned" way.
Ethan Friendly (Gluten-free & Dairy-free) Rice Krispies
3 TBSP Becel Vegan margarine
1 pkg Jet Puff large marshmallows (~40)
1 tsp vanilla
5 cups gluten-free Nature's Path Crispy Rice
1/2 cup coarsely crushed Nature's Path Corn Flakes (optional)
1/2 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened & sulphite-free)
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
2 TBSP Becel Vegan margarine
6 large Jet Puff marshmallows
1/4 cup coconut milk
1 1/2 cups Enjoy Life allergen-free chocolate chips
1. Grease a 9 X 13 pan with Vegan margarine.
2. In large pot over medium heat, melt 3 TBSP margarine and pkg of marshmallows until completely dissolved and blended. Remove from heat.
3. Add vanilla and blend well.
4. In a large bowl, combine the Crispy Rice, Corn Flakes, coconut and sunflower seeds.
5. Add to large pot and blend quickly.
6. Press into 9 X 13 greased pan (you may need to put some margarine on your fingers to keep it from sticking to you).
7. Sauce: in small pot over medium heat, melt margarine and marshmallows until well blended. Remove from heat.
8. Add coconut milk and chocolate chips and stir until smooth.
9. Spread over rice krispie base and refrigerate 1 hr before cutting and serving.